Alice in Wonderland: The Red Queen



Alice in Wonderland
The Red Queen
Completed April 2014


Items Made: Skirt, Bodice, Collar


This was made for a local college's production of Alice in Wonderland... The Opera. I like this costume in theory more than I like it in actuality.  I made this over 3 years ago... but I remember being really pressed for time and there are things I like about it and things I don't.  

I was working on this after my real job and wasn't able to fit the bodice on the actress so that's why it's ill-fitting.  Also the bodice was drafted off a flat front corset and the corset she was wearing wasn't.  And I think I had intended to do a heart outline on the front out the of the same ruffles as the skirt.  I think I ran out of time.  It's hard to do this so after so much time has passed. 


This was my original sketch,  I wanted more hearts and silhouettes of hearts.  (yes I drew it on a napkin at Starbucks.  

I love the skirt!  It was made as all one piece for ease of dressing.  Also it saves on fabric. The underskirt front panel was built into the overskirt. Then if I recall correctly I stitched along the inner folds to keep the overskirt part overlapping the under skirt part.  The underskirt front is one upholstery fabric that used the right and wrong sides of the fabric to create the chevron pattern.  I also remember that I didn't have much of that fabric and cutting it to achieve the color blocking was tricky.  The overskirt is done in red velvet and trimmed with red organza with a foil heart pattern.  I had to edge all of the ruffle on my serger with a teeny tiny overlock stitch.  That took a very long time. 



The bodice.... meh... mostly the issue is the drafting.  Without being able to fit it to the actress, the final fit... well... didn't.  The main part is done in red velvet.  The sleeve tops are the same organza.  The front a gold and white brocade.  I wish the front looked more heart shaped. And there should be straps going over her shoulders but I made them to small so they just fell and it looks like the gown is strapless.  Which, I guess, works.  


The collar was kind of cool.  Again, had I more time and the chance to work with the actress, I would have made it with more shape.  It could have sat on her shoulders and swooped up and around her head.  I made it out of coat hangers and it's covered in crinkled gold lame with a gold mesh fabric over that had little paillettes in the mesh.

Here's a few more pictures.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Midsummer Night's Dream: Fairy Wings

Fullmetal Alchemist: Lust

Harry Potter: House Scarves