Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Beaux Stratagem: Sir Charles Freeman


The Beaux Stratagem
Sir Charles Freeman
Completed November 2013


Items Made: Coat, Petticoat Breeches

The Beaux Stratagem is a restoration comedy written in 1707. The character, Sir Charles, is supposed to be a little older, therefore in a style of dress a little before the rest of the cast. 

But this was super fun to make.  The designer wanted him to look like a peppermint stick.  There were lots of one word descriptions for the costume themes in this show.  And since it's comedy, you can get away with it. 

The Jacket is made from black cotton with silver embroidery and lined with red silk-satin.  The sleeves are slashed and the jacket is trimmed with green ribbon and buttons.  

The petticoat breeches are absolutely ridiculous which in a costume shop equates to "Holy wow! So much fun!"  In the actual restoration period, when it came to bagginess of breeches, baggier was better.  So I made them as baggy as I could with the amount of fabric I had.  They're made from seasonal fabric... this one a red cotton with gold and green metallic stripe.  There was also no such thing as too much ribbon during the Restoration.  Sadly, I only had so much of the green/white embroidered ribbon to trim the waist with.  





The Beaux Stratagem: Lady Bountiful



The Beaux Stratagem
Lady Bountiful
Completed November 2013


Items Made: Bodice, Stomacher, Skirt, and Apron

The Beaux Stratagem is a restoration comedy written in 1707. The character, Lady Bountiful, is sort of a sadistic, mad-doctor type. But also wealthy.  Anyway, the designer wanted her to look like a big bruisey tumor.  So lots of purple and green.  To me, I think she's a little like any of Helena Bonham Carters recent characters.  

The skirt is a crushed purple taffeta, and the bodice a purple/green stripe moire with green hued batik cotton trimming the sleeves.  The stomacher is purple microsuede with green/gold brocade trim and rosettes made from the same fabric as the skirt.  The apron is a two tone green strip cotton.   

The coolest/most challenging part was drafting the bodice based on patterns from that era... which, when drafted, come out super tiny.  I know people were smaller back then, but these patterns kept as they are wouldn't fit ANYONE today... so having to refigure that was tough.  But in the end, I think I got it and this became one of my favorite costumes in the show.... and not just because I made it.






Thursday, February 13, 2014

Monday, February 3, 2014

Lady of the Lake WIP Pt. 2


So I've had another go round with the Lady of the Lake.  As you can see, possibly, in some of the photos, I've removed the sleeves and now we're gonna go with an opera length gauntlety thing.  I also reworked the wings/fin/cape whatever so now it's floor length starts at the neck.  To fix the uniformity that I didn't like with the previous cape thing, I made panels in different widths and staggered them in no particular pattern.  They also start narrow out narrow at the top and get wider at the bottom... I might have to add more panels on... I'm not sure... I guess it depends on if she has to raise both her arms over her head...  Right now the cape forms a full half-circle... 

All that's left is fitting the bodice, sewing down all the facings (which I don't wanna do until the bodice is fitted) and add make the sea shells for the bust.  Oh... and attach everything to everything that needs attaching...