Lady of the Lake WIP

So these past few days I've started on my next project... well... it isn't for me... but it's something I'm working on.  This one is for a character from the Monty Python stage show, Spamalot.  It's pretty much Quest for the Holy Grail... with more musical numbers. 

My mission this go round is the Lady of the Lake (who's not in the movie but was added to the stage show).  And she's pretty much THE female lead.  We're kind of going with medieval warrior mermaid lady...  So the bodice is pretty standard... princess seams... not quite a square neckline and made out of a green velvet upholstery.  The skirt is from a purple and gold brocade... but I'm using the reverse which looks like scales... floor length with a train.  Pardon the mannequin in the pics... it's really short so the costume drowns it. 
 

Next up I added in a slightly puffy upper sleeve with a bell shaped lower sleeve.  The upper sleeve is a green stretch velvet with gold glitter detail (it'll make sense in a minute) The lower sleeve is teal sparkle organza.  I also added a ruffle to the hem of the skirt out of a crinkly pleated taffeta... I wanted her to look like she's walking in water... I left the upper edge of the ruffle unfinished and slightly distressed... I don't want this to be too neat... so slight distressing going on in a few places. 



Next up, I got the other sleeve on and added on a gold sash (now the gold glitter on the sleeves makes sense).  The sash is a gold metallic brocade that looks like gold sequins...



Lastly, she'll have these flowing panels of fabric coming from the back of her waist and attached to her wrists so that when she raises her arms, they'll look like fins or wings or whatever... Here's one of the panels...



And here it is in action... kinda... and herein lies the issue... With the wings/fins/whatever... the bell sleeves don't seem to work anymore... so I've gotta figure out what I want to do... I have a couple of options... I can make the gown sleeveless and have her with gauntlet sleeves made from the green/gold stretch velvet... to which I can attach the wings... or I can edit out some of the organza in the sleeves and make them more fitted...

The other issue is that the panel of strips of fabric looks too neat... I want it to look more organic... so I need to figure out how to fix that as well... 

Stay tuned for more progress pics as this costume comes to life... 

See ya next time!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sailor Senshi Uniform Tutorial -- Part 1

Work Vlog: Jack Skellington Mask Session 1 and Updates

Friday Favorites: X-men cosplay