Rising New Moon Studios has a new home!!!


Or as I like to call it... "The Workshop Under the Bed"  because, seriously, this is UNDER my bed.  And this is what I've been up to the past several weeks.  I've been a busy bee sorting, cleaning, purging, organizing, and all the other "ings" you can come up with.  

Now, it's not completely done, and it isn't perfect.  But that's okay because the important thing is I can start working at home again... 

So let's break it down and I'll give you the pictorial tour!!!

First off, my bed is from IKEA.  They call it a loft bed, but really it's a bunk bed minus the bottom bunk.  Which is awesome because in my new place I have less room to work so I had to maximize my space.  The climbing in and out of bed is kind of a pain, but the end result it totally worth it. 

Then I added in a shelving unit and desk combo ALSO from IKEA. The desk gives me a sizable work surface and all the cubbies provide plenty of storage.  


I also have another folding table for my machines... Unfortunately, this table is a little old and is starting to sag under the weight of the machine, but I'm going to replace it with something a little sturdier.  


Tucked into the corner is my fabric stash.  I went through my entire stash and seriously downsized it.  It was hard.  Those of you who sew as much as I do KNOW how bad the fabric hoarding can get.  But I was able to look at everything I had (and all the stuff I inherited from friends) and objectively decide if it was REALLY a fabric I might use or something just taking up valuable real estate.  I also got rid of all the little scraps and ribbons of fabric I had been holding onto.   

The end result is 3 totes of fabric... all grouped by color.  I'll admit the fabric is tough to access but I honestly don't need to get into that often.  And the very top tote is all of my utilitarian fabric like interfacing and muslin which is much easier to get to.  I'm working on another idea to add to my fabric storage organization... but I haven't got it all quite figured out just yet.


Then there's all the cubbies that I LOVE SO MUCH!!!  It's so nice to have everything out in the open.  I'm trying to keep all of the tools I use most close at hand so I don't have to dig or search for everything.  Granted, the cubbies still need a little more refining, but they're a start.  


 What doesn't fit in the cubbies, goes over here on this shelf.  Which is in the other corner of my room.


Here's my pattern library, all transferred into large storage envelopes.  I still want to refine this a little more.  Right now, all my patterns are sorted in pretty broad categories... Oh, and I might have to reconfigure this because they're packed in there pretty tight.  I guess my library is growing. 


Then I have all of my wig supplies and all of my makeup.  The next shelf, which I didn't take a picture of, is wigs on wig heads.  Some of my wigs are in ziploc bags in drawers, which is fine, but the wigs I care about more, I'd like to keep safe on wig heads.  

And that's pretty much it!  Thanks for joining me in my little tour!  I hope this helps to give you a few ideas for creative use of space and I'll see you in the next blog!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Midsummer Night's Dream: Fairy Wings

Fullmetal Alchemist: Lust

Harry Potter: House Scarves