Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Jack Skellington (Remember him) Progress
So I know it's been awhile since I've worked on this, but I had All-con costumes to work on and a boatload of exams for Anatomy (Which I still have 4 more in that class that we have yet to take) so I have been a little distracted.
But I've done some work as you can see in the above picture. I bought a palm sander to help speed up the sanding and I did an initial sanding on the mask. This brought out the low spots and thin areas. Which as you can see I've gone back and filled in with more paper clay.
I've also gone in and worked the eye area... smoothing out and reinforcing the inner edges and such. They were pretty thin and delicate. Now they're a little more sturdy and I don't have to worry about them breaking.
Lastly, I've added in the teeth to match the inspiration photos. When they dry, I'll cut out the "open" part of the mouth. Since the part inside the mouth is part of the mask, I'm only going to cut away the area above the teeth and back that with chiffon. If you look really close, you can see where I've already started cutting. I'm hoping that opening up the mouth are will also allow more air to circulate in the mask as well as maybe provide more visibility... I hope... we'll see... maybe.
(I'll also use black chiffon on the eyes. I tested the chiffon idea with my vinyl mask and though the visibility is a little dark, the black is perfect in even flash pictures)
The next step after this dries is to cut out the mouth and sand everything.
Then I plan to reinforce the inside with fiberglass cloth and resin. The outside will just be coated with resin but I want to wait until I sculpt the back of the mask and line it up with the front before I start adding Bondo and resin.
Anyway. That's my game plan.
And I have my next costume project planned but it's going to be REALLY extensive and amazingly EPIC!!!
I'm not going to tell anyone what it is yet though. I'll only reveal things in pieces as I make them.
Drying times and Mystery costumes,